The value of patient education can be summarised as follows:
- Improved understanding of medical condition, diagnosis, disease, or disability.
- Improved understanding of methods and means to manage multiple aspects of medical condition.
- Improved self-advocacy in deciding to act both independently from medical providers and in interdependence with them.
- Effective communication and patient education increases patient motivation to comply.
- Patients more likely to respond well to their treatment plan – fewer complications.
- Patients feel you’ve provided the information they need.
- More effective use of medical services – fewer unnecessary phone calls and visits.
- Patients more likely to stay with your practice and refer other patients.
- Lower risk of malpractice when patients have realistic expectations.